Welcome!

free family website glitter textured text
Hello, and welcome to my blog! I'd like to thank all of those who have supported my efforts in making this website. If you want to truly support me, then please follow my blog. Let me know you were here:D I make it a point to respond to all messages asap! Thanks again for your continuing support:)

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

What ever happened to.....


Modesty....

When I look at old magazine covers, I am thrilled to see images like this one. I mean, in our society today, we're taught that less is more, especially when it comes to women's clothing. But is that necessarily true? I know that the '40's and '50's were not perfect by any means, and I'm sure people had their fair share of indiscretions. But at least they had the decency to want to conceal them from the world. They had something called shame. And I don't know what's happening lately, but sometimes, I wish we could magically transport ourselves back to that time in history to see how people behaved. Look at the girl on this magazine cover. It struck me that she is covered up to her neck, and even has her hands covered, with a conservative hairstyle. And she looks classy and beautiful. All the while, still maintaining her femininity and charm.....


Charm Magazine, which would later become Glamour Magazine.


A simpler time, when roles were more clearly defined....

Sometimes, I wish I could be her. Yes, I said it! Sometimes, I truly wish the roles I was expected to take in my life were as clearly defined as this girl in the picture. Even though it's a contrived photo, and we don't know what's really going on in her life, she is portrayed as a glamorous sort of  housewife who is just getting out into the work force. A young secretary perhaps, looking for work. Okay, my imagination is going pretty far, here. But I can't help but think about what it would be like if  I was her. Would it be exciting for me to be able to work after women had stayed home for so long with the children, and kept the house? Or would I resent it?


Fast forwarding to today.....

In today's hustle and bustle world, the roles for women are not as clearly defined. We're expected to "do it all", including keeping the house, working, taking care of our children, managing multiple tasks at once, and sometimes multiple jobs. We have so much on our plates, and a lot of the time, we are expected to support our families by ourselves, too. And women don't have the same value for themselves as they did in the past. We don't cover ourselves up any more...most women just let it all hang out! Because they've been brainwashed into thinking, "if you've got it, flaunt it." Right? How many damn times have I heard that stupid tag line? And I have never completely bought it, either. I know it's a bunch of nonsense. We've been taught we need to "get out there, and make something of ourselves!" which is all good, by the way. That's one of the positives of this time period. That we can make it happen as women, and be whatever we want. There are no limitations. Still, sometimes, I wish I could be her.


No comments: